- Position link: Manager, Technology
DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary changemakers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. We help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and prioritizes ethics.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Director, Technology, the Manager, Technology will bring an eye for usability and a customer service orientation to ensure that our technology systems are user friendly and run smoothly with a focus on supporting activities in pursuit of our mission. The Technology team is responsible for full stack technology products, both off-the-shelf and custom built, supporting and interacting with every other team within DataKind. The Manager will help to drive adoption across the company, building and maintaining strong systems and processes and removing barriers to success in the path of our staff, contractors, and volunteers.
A successful candidate will be comfortable operating in a full stack environment and possess the ability to learn new systems and summarize information succinctly and accessibly. The position will require enjoying moving between skills, from user experience design to creating new data structures, and then spinning up a new cloud instance all while documenting how to train our team on the new features you help create. This is a great role for junior to mid-level human-centered technologists who want to continue to build their skill set in all aspects of full stack platform development and play a key role behind the scenes.
What You’ll Do
The Manager, Technology will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project assigned by the manager:
DataKind web applications
Work with the Director, Technology to design and develop web applications used to promote and support the work of our staff and global volunteer force.
Design and conduct engaging training for staff and volunteers for new features.
SaaS Systems Admin and Development
Work with the Director of Technology to develop processes and features within SaaS systems (Asana, Salesforce, GSuite, Slack, and more).
Help utilize SaaS system APIs and plug-ins to ensure integration that improves our users’ experience with multiple systems.
Design and conduct engaging training for staff and volunteers, improving how they utilize SaaS systems. Help research and implement new systems to meet evolving needs.
Cloud Compute Admin and Support
- Work with the Director, Technology and product staff to develop, maintain, and support Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and PaperSpace cloud networks, all of which are leveraged by staff and volunteer data scientists to deliver results for our NGO partners.
- Research and implement new systems to meet evolving needs.
Data Security and Compliance
- Assist the Director, Technology to perform data audits, design security processes, respond to data issues, and continually monitor our compliance with GDPR and other relevant data regulations and security best practices. Our project teams handle a large amount of data to perform their work.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year 1, the Manager, Technology will have accomplished results equal to or similar to the following:
- Designed and built visual report dashboards for the Executive, Product, Operations, Communications and Global Volunteer teams.
- Created and conducted training for our Volunteer Engagement Platform.
- Worked with the BizDev and Product teams to add new fields to our Salesforce “Project” object and linked them to our “Opportunities”
- Assisted Director of Technology designing, building, and writing tests for web application authentication and access control logic for volunteers.
- Learned to confidently assist the Product team in building and tearing down compute resources for data science projects.
- Conducted a data audit with all organizational teams
- Received strong reviews from peers as well as from the Director of Technology as part of our 360° performance review process, especially on customer service orientation.
- Set and met at least three goals around professional learning and development.
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in a fast-paced, start-up or nonprofit environment technology role.
- At least 1-3 years working with PHP and/or Python, ideally frameworks Laravel and/or Django.
- At least 1-3 years working with relational databases (PostgreSQL or MySQL).
- Experience working with cloud-based software (Google Suite and Salesforce); comfort learning new software systems quickly.
- Experience managing cloud computing resources and networks (AWS, Azure).
- Strong eye for creating compelling user experience and user interface design.
- Experience designing and conducting training for technology systems.
- Alignment with DataKind mission and values and comfort working across lines of difference (culture, identity, and/or time zone).
- Customer service orientation, including approaching problems with curiosity and providing clear, timely updates.
- Discretion, with the ability to maintain confidential employee and organizational information.
- The ability to work effectively from home, at least until we’re able to reopen an office safely.