Collecting tidy data

The Portal Project mention using git and excel with data validation for data entry, which seem like a fairly good approach to me, but my field is medicine - getting a bunch of my colleagues to use and understand git is not something I’d feel particularly compelled to do…:neutral_face: The other options you mention look like great tools, but for my needs they’re a bit too “advanced”. Mostly I’d just want to enter integers/doubles, factors, strings and dates.

I’ve also considered using google spreadsheets with the googlesheets package, but most likely I won’t be able to due to GDPR (and ethical reasons).

Could some sort of SQL database be what I’m looking for? I have no knowledge of SQL, but if there’s an easy way to setup a report form interface (website with login) I think it might be worth learning the neccessary basics.

Summarised, for my field of research, the optimal workflow would look something like this:

Customisable, but simple data entry interface ->
Database (preferably local unless very secure and somehow approved within GDPR) with API to R ->
Import to R ->
Prewritten assertr script so I can hunt people down when they mess up