Cheatsheets Feedback

Rstudio provides some great cheatsheets and they provide a template for their cheatsheets.

We are starting to roll out our own cheatsheets in our ropensci/cheatsheets repo.

The first is for taxize:

Let us know if you think this is useful, and if you have any feedback! Do you want to see more of these?

1 Like

paging @kgturner and anyone else that uses taxize

Yes! Cheatsheets are great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the feedback. any in particular?

No. But my experience is that the RStudio cheatsheets have been a great way to promote the tidyverse (and they are so convenient!). So I feel that nice looking and easy to use cheatsheets, particularly if advertised on twitter, could boost and promote the rOpenSci packages and encourage their use by people who might not hear about them or pay much attention to them otherwise.

Cheatsheets are just a great, appealing, visual, and efficient tool.

1 Like

There could maybe (?) even be a cheatsheet that introduces a selection of rOpenSci packages and their main applications.

Like an “rOpenSci Project” cheatsheet.

1 Like

thanks for the feedback @prosoitos I sort of lost steam making them since I didn’t get much feedback on them, so this is good motivation

1 Like

Cool!

And sorry I am necrobumping old threads… :stuck_out_tongue: I just joined the forum and am reading threads months or years late…

1 Like

Don’t apologize - this is great! Might bring older threads to the attention of new people

Loving your bio here, with your work as “R peer at the Research Commons” etc. This discussion forum is a great place to ask questions about our packages, community, etc or to high five for more cheatsheets.

1 Like

Great. Thank you very much stefanie!

The open source world is still fairly new to me (I got into Emacs 3 years ago and that lead to R, then Arch Linux, etc.) and the last rOpenSci Community Meetup was really extremely eye-opening and inspiring to me and played a key part in the development of my ideas for a project I am hoping to develop within the Research Commons in the coming months, developing resources to students for coding, but also for the promotion and education on open source, open code, and open research. I am extremely lucky to work in a Research Commons which is already really ahead of its time in the promotion of open data and open access. If they get interested in a proposal I am currently working on and give me a chance to develop a pilot of my project, then I will be super interested in talking to people at rOpenSci about it!

In a dream world, I would love to see a collaboration between the Research Commons and the open source community, with students needs bringing suggestions to rOpenSci about potential tools to develop or feed-back on those tools, and see the university provide funding to rOpenSci rather than pay licenses for proprietary software.

Now, we will see how much of my dreams and ideas turn out to be realistic (and whether I can convince the Research Commons to even give me a chance to try my project in the first place)… The coming few months will be decisive in all this.

In any event, I am very thankful to rOpenSci for already having inspired me and educated me on some open research questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes