Warning message for V8 package - "This system has a very old version of libv8"?

Hello,
I am trying to use the rmapshaper package and having an issue which I think might possibly be related to the warning message I get from library(V8) : “Warning: this system has a very old version of libv8. Some packages may not work”.

I keep getting the error “SyntaxError: Unexpected token function” when using the ms_simplify() function. I get this error even when I just copy and paste the exact example given in the documentation: (ms_simplify function - RDocumentation)

ms_simplify(poly_sf, keep=0.5)
Error: SyntaxError: Unexpected token function

When I load rmapshaper I also get the following warning message:
library(rmapshaper)
Warning: v8 Engine is version 3.14.5.9 but version >=6 is required for full functionality. Some rmapshaper functions, notably ms_clip() and ms_erase(), may not work. See GitHub - jeroen/V8: Embedded JavaScript Engine for R for help installing a modern version of v8 on your operating system.

I did go to the link, but I didn’t understand how to install a newer version of the v8 engine , only the package… Sorry I really don’t understand anything about V8. I did make sure I had the most up to date version of the V8 package, but that didn’t change any warning or error messages.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d be very grateful!

Thanks,
Jess