I’ve recently joined the R-Journal as an editor, and one of the things I would like to introduce is clear guidance on package standards for authors. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I thought I would ask the experts!
So a few comments/notes:
- Not all papers submitted to the R-Journal have a package, but the vast majority do
- Currently, there isn’t a minimal standard for a package. Although as all(?) packages are on CRAN, there are some checks.
- In my head, the R-Journal should be the exemplar for writing packages. Any package in the R-Journal should be “good”
- The R Journal has four (ish) editors who assign papers to reviewers. Getting reviewers can be hard and sometimes impossible
- Papers may also have a strong (non-R) technical focus
- Papers are reviewed by anonymous referees
Now my questions:
- What are the minimal package standards you would like to see?
- What are the expected package standards, e.g. you might not insist on CI, but it would be nice
- Any other comments/suggestions
To be clear, this topic is me finding options, not an official request from the R-Journal.