Getting and plotting weather and climate data

rOpenSci package or resource used*

weathercan

What did you do?

I took my undergrad limnology class on a field trip to sample & characterize a local storm water retention pond in Brandon MB. Both weather and climate can provide important context when interpreting results. I used Steffi’s weathercan package to get Environment and Climate Change Canada weather & climate data for Brandon MB. I plotted up this data a few different ways and as a class we discussed how to best present this data.

URL or code snippet for your use case*

Sector

Academic

Field(s) of application

Climate, Hydrology, Limnology, Geography, Environmental Science

Comments

Very user friendly

Twitter handle

@Alex_Koiter

3 Likes

I really like your climograph! So clear and attractive. Thanks for sharing the code for this. I need to make some modifications to my version for ggplot2 climographs with some of your ideas.

1 Like

Glad you found it helpful! One issue I have with the figure is that I feel the stat_smooth() does not do a great job on either end of the year because the smoothing window is truncated. I wonder if it would be better to have an additional month of data on both ends and then use coord_cartesian() to zoom in on the year. Thoughts on this?

1 Like

I think that has merit. I don’t have much extra brain space to think on this right now though.