What organizations advocate/support scientists to develop and practice open science?

What initiatives and organizations in North America advocate for or support researchers and trainees in the development and practice of open science?

My question pertains to funding and training for Open Science in Neuroscience and Psychophysiology research. Before a manuscript is re-submitted (Garrett-Ruffin, et al, 2020) I would like to provide a list or table of specific resources and links to direct readers toward helpful communities with solutions to their challenges. I’m hoping that members of rOpenSci might have suggestions for avenues that I might have overlooked. (By the way, I’ll be glad to reorganize responses to this topic, including my own, into a table or clickable resource.)

For example, rOpenSci and U.S. Office of Research Integrity (ORI) represent the gamut of specificity for my question. rOpenSci is an exemplar for advocacy, contributing operational solutions and community support. ORI is involved in advocacy to a limited extent through funding, initiatives, and guidelines.

However, (paradigm) change requires a gradient of incentive along many points of access to adopt better scientific practices. Cost of change, institutional momentum, and the insular nature of domain knowledge require a consortium of diverse solutions, common goals, and allied interests. Furthermore, even in the realm of development there are parallel approaches in terms of programming language (Regarding the manuscript, our discipline gravitates toward Matlab and more recently Python, but in my opinion R communities presently offer the best towards accessibility, inclusivity, transparency). My goal is to define categories of support for open science and some examples of organizations who offer them. It also appears to me that there are differences in the visibility and coordination of organizations in Europe compared to North America.

Please indicate in what capacity an organization advocates for open science if the scope is narrow. (Also, please suggest how I can better frame my question if it lacks proper formatting or required details.)

Thanks in advance!
-Ryan Mears

Garrett-Ruffin, S., Hindash, A. C., Kaczkurkin, A. N., Mears, R. P., Muriel, S. M., Paul, K., … Keil, A. (2020, November 19). Open Science in Psychophysiology: An Overview of Challenges and Emerging Solutions. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/ryspq

Thanks for posting this here @Mears-UFL. I’m rOpenSci’s Community Manager. I’ll ping a couple of peers (e.g. one who advocates for open science in a Canadian academic dept) to read and comment. Please ping me if you don’t hear anything by mid-next week.

Active in or located in? Off the top of my head: Definitely FORCE11, OHBM, INCF US branch (NITRC, NIF, CRCNS), ReproNim. I’d have to look up where Neurofedora is formally based, and Neurodebian too but they are definitely active in North America. I can probably think of a few more, those just off the top of my head. Do you want universities, too? The Neuro at McGill. Stanford (Open Neuro, Poldrack lab).

1 Like

And duh, the Carpentries. Center for Open Science with OSF. Allen Institute. Ludmer Centre. The Brainhack movement is global but partly US-dominated.

1 Like

Thoughts from Hao Ye @hye, Reproducibility Librarian, University of Florida:

• if we just go with funding agencies, most include some element of open science, but the ones that make open science a primary objective would be places like Gates, Moore, Sloan, CZI, CSS, etc.
  • training includes grassroots local chapters like ReproducibiliTea, OLS, OpenScapes, through to Stanford Center for Reproducible Neuroscience
  • more culture-change institutions/programs would be things like NASEM Roundtable on Aligning Incentives for Open Science, FORCE11, OCSDnet
  • many professional societies likely have one or more open science committees or working groups (a common partition is data vs. reproducibility vs. publishing)

Thoughts from Dylan Roskams-Edris, Open Science Alliance Officer for Tanenbaum Open Science Institute TOSI

Canadian Open Neuroscience Platform, the Tanenbaum Open Science Institute (my organization at The Neuro, though our web presence is really not great). Also, more generally for funders, those affiliated with the Open Funders Research Group are at least formally committed to supporting OS.

the Touchscreen Cognition Community has a lot of open science related content, but doesn’t have OS as a focus

:construction: wip
GitHub Gist

Organizations for Open Data & Publishing

Organizations for Open Science Education

General Open Science

Charitable Funding of Open Science

I’d be inclined to split out a separate category or subcategory for computational training that you currently have listed in Open Science Education. The cloud computing platforms especially, since they tend to be targeted at software developers or data science professionals.

1 Like