Using vcr for HTTP testing of a package for Kobotoolbox

rOpenSci package or resource used*

What did you do?

We - a couple of volunteers from data4good network CorrelAid developed a wrapper for the API of Kobotoolbox, a data collection tool widely used in humanitarian aid. For testing the package functions, we used the vcr package and the HTTP testing book.

URL or code snippet for your use case*

Disclaimer: while we were developing, another package for the exact same purpose was published which is maybe better than ours (e.g. it uses labelled to store question labels as well): Ahmadou Dicko / robotoolbox · GitLab :slight_smile:

Sector

non-profit

Field(s) of application

humanitarian, non-profit

Twitter handle

@CorrelAid

3 Likes

Thanks for the use case! :star2:

The package topic actually reminded me of @dickoa’s work interests. :grin:

Oh didn’t know about kbtbr package, it looks great. It’s true that KoBoToolbox is everywhere in my space (humanitarian data) and I also had the same questions regarding testing. @florianm package was my main motivation to finally give it a try and publish it. I think ruODK uses a dedicated server for the test. I wanted to touch base with him regarding his experience using vcr for testing. It’s one of the main question I had before trying to push it to CRAN (+ improving my vignettes) and/or r-universe.

Thanks a lot @maelle for tagging me.

1 Like

Hi @friep,
Your package looks great, and I’m also a huge R6 fan. I was not sure if I could use vcr for this one (large subs, etc), but your work showed that it can be done.
Thanks again

1 Like